In origin part of the inner ward of Taunton Castle, this building has seen many uses: part of the medieval gatehouse, which by the C15 became separate accommodation, to its modern function of a living museum. Upstairs lies the apartment, rented as a holiday let. Click here for more information about renting the apartment.
Few of its guests are aware arch-braced roof trusses above their heads have been dated to the late C15, or that part of a C12 arch, very rare in Somerset, can be seen near a fireplace.
The present look was achieved around 1700, according to our distinguished Vice President, Julian Orbach, who rather doubts the wooden shell hood above the front door was made for that place.
The pictures below show the downstairs schoolroom, the forerunner of Queen’s College, Taunton, which is currently used as a small lecture theatre, and the restored kitchen. The bedroom and drawing room are photographs of the apartment as it looks today.