Membership of SANHS
To join SANHS, please complete the application form and send a copy to [email protected] Alternatively, send your printed form to:
Somerset Heritage Centre
Taunton TA2 6SF
Benefits of membership
SANHS was formed in 1849 to collect and record the heritage and history of the old County of Somerset. Today, the Society carries out charitable activities to meet its objects of promoting the study of archaeology, natural history and history. It does this by awarding grants, organising talks and events, publishing books and its journal Proceedings, and conserving its estate and collections. Membership of SANHS provides the Society with general funds enabling it to carry out its important work of informing today’s heritage community of the importance of the past.
As well as supporting heritage projects in Somerset, joining SANHS brings other benefits;
- Digital access to the Society’s journal Somerset Archaeology and Natural History – SANHS Proceedings
- Advance notice and booking of talks and events by SANHS and Associated Societies
- Right to borrow books from our 20,000-volume library held at Somerset Heritage Centre
- Use of TWO members’ rooms (Museum of Somerset and Somerset Heritage Centre) to browse journals and publications
- Reduced entry to the Somerset Rural life Museum, Abbey Barn, Glastonbury
- Specialist advice on a wide range of interests, consistent with SANHS charitable status
Printed copies of the Proceedings
Membership of SANHS includes electronic access to a digital copy of the annual journal Somerset Archaeology and Natural History (SANHS Proceedings). Those of you who wish to purchase a printed volume can do so by completing the attached form and payment of £10 per volume (individual and joint members; associated societies) or £15 for institutions and organisations.
If you have already set up a standing order for annual payment you need do nothing more – each annual volume will be sent when published.
Cost of membership
Individual £30 UK & £36 Overseas
Individual Life £600
Joint £41 UK & £47 Overseas
Associated Society £30
Institution £30 UK & £50 Overseas
Membership runs from 1st January to 31st December and renewal payment is due on 1st January. If you join the Society on or after the 1st October, your membership renewal is due on 1st January up to 15 months later.
The following payment methods are accepted:
Please contact the SANHS office for more information.
If you are a UK income tax payer, the Society would be very grateful for your completion of the ‘Gift Aid’ declaration attached to the application form.