Membership of SANHS
SANHS was formed in 1849 to collect and record the heritage and history of the old County of Somerset. Today, the Society carries out charitable activities to meet its objects of promoting the study of archaeology, natural history and history. It does this by awarding grants, organising talks and events, publishing books and its journal Proceedings, and conserving its estate and collections. Membership of SANHS provides the Society with general funds enabling it to carry out its important work of informing today’s heritage community of the importance of the past.
As well as supporting heritage projects in Somerset, joining SANHS brings other benefits;
- Receipt of the annual Society journal, SANHS Proceedings
- Advance notice and booking of talks and events by SANHS and Associated Societies
- Right to borrow books from our 20,000-volume library held at Somerset Heritage Centre (SHC)
- Use of TWO members’ rooms (Museum of Somerset and SHC) to browse journals and publications
- Reduced entry to the Somerset Rural life Museum, Abbey Barn, Glastonbury
- Specialist advice on a wide range of interests, consistent with SANHS charitable status.
Cost of membership 2019
Individual £30 UK & £36 Overseas
Individual Life £600
Joint £41 UK & £47 Overseas
Associated Society £30
Institution £30 UK & £50 Overseas
Membership runs from 1st January to 31st December and renewal payment is due on 1st January. If you join the Society on or after the 1st October, you receive three months membership for free and your renewal payment is due on 1st January up to 15 months later.
If you are a UK income or corporation tax payer, the Society would be very grateful for your completion of the ‘Gift Aid’ declaration attached to the application form.
Volunteering for SANHS
SANHS relies on a wide range of expert and not so expert helpers to run our events, do research, visit places of interest or write up articles, for example. Find out more on the Volunteering page. If you prefer to be more ‘local’, look at our Associated Societies page to find opportunities for joining in.